I moved back to Montgomery 4 years ago. When I moved, I wasn't planning on staying but 2 years before moving to Auburn. I didn't look for a church because, quite frankly, I had dealt with enough bad experiences in the church I attended back home and I was fed up with organized religion at that point. I still believed in God; I was just tired of the church environment and all the politics that went with it.
I didn't go back to the church I went to as a kid here in Montgomery because the preacher that was there back then had moved to Mississippi to a big and wonderful church there. I couldn't see myself going to that church without my favorite pastor and all my old friends. It wouldn't have been the same.
Things changed and I am still here. Cory and I have been married 2 years and have not found a church here in Montgomery. We will only be living here one more year before moving to Greenville, but I have decided I want to find a church to attend this next year.
The searching and final decision will come from my effort. Cory is basically just going with the flow. I have a few in mind that I want to attend but I really want to find a non-denominational church. I don't really fit in a certain religion. Religion is all man-made and I believe in a relationship with God. I was raised Baptist, but I take bits and pieces from different denominations and different religions.
I cross myself like a Catholic
I believe in mediation and yoga like the Islam
I am all for drinking beer with the preacher like a Southern Baptist
I don't like all the prayer reading in Presbyterian
Mormons are fascinating but definitely not for me
I am not a fan of Church of Christ at all
Episcopalian are too traditional for me
Jehovah Witnesses freak me out a little
I believe in interpreting the Scripture
I have enjoyed Methodist and Baptist and will most likely decide on a church with that denomination. I know that it is impossible to find the perfect church but I hope to find one that works for me. I am in need of fellowship and some good old-fashioned preaching!
I didn't go back to the church I went to as a kid here in Montgomery because the preacher that was there back then had moved to Mississippi to a big and wonderful church there. I couldn't see myself going to that church without my favorite pastor and all my old friends. It wouldn't have been the same.
Things changed and I am still here. Cory and I have been married 2 years and have not found a church here in Montgomery. We will only be living here one more year before moving to Greenville, but I have decided I want to find a church to attend this next year.
The searching and final decision will come from my effort. Cory is basically just going with the flow. I have a few in mind that I want to attend but I really want to find a non-denominational church. I don't really fit in a certain religion. Religion is all man-made and I believe in a relationship with God. I was raised Baptist, but I take bits and pieces from different denominations and different religions.
I cross myself like a Catholic
I believe in mediation and yoga like the Islam
I am all for drinking beer with the preacher like a Southern Baptist
I don't like all the prayer reading in Presbyterian
Mormons are fascinating but definitely not for me
I am not a fan of Church of Christ at all
Episcopalian are too traditional for me
Jehovah Witnesses freak me out a little
I believe in interpreting the Scripture
I have enjoyed Methodist and Baptist and will most likely decide on a church with that denomination. I know that it is impossible to find the perfect church but I hope to find one that works for me. I am in need of fellowship and some good old-fashioned preaching!
I will keep you updated on our journey as we search for a church :-)


I know the feeling. I grew up Catholic, and I loved my church with my priest, but once he moved on, I didn't want to go there anymore. And Dave is not ok with going to a Catholic church. It took us a long time to find one, but we now attend a non-denom Christian church that feels like home and we love it. You will find yours too. :)
ReplyDeleteGood luck! It's so hard to find a church that really fits you but once you do it's all worth it :)
ReplyDeleteStill think you need to checkout First Christian Church, Montgomery, AL on Taylor Road. :D And no, it is not Church of Christ.
ReplyDelete