Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Rarity

I had the day off today.  It didn't feel like a day off though because I had a page-long to-do list that included 7 different errands to run.  I did get to sleep in though and that felt wonderful!

That's not what this post is about though.

I cook 99% of our meals.  Cory cooks 1%.  Sam cooks 0%.  And since we don't eat out, this means I am cooking 5-6 times a week.  Sometimes I make a casserole or lasagna and we eat on that for 3 days and I only cook about 3 or 4 times that week.  But more often than not, I am in the kitchen at night preparing dinner.  

I am not complaining, by the way.  I enjoy cooking for my family. You just needed to know that information to fully grasp the rarity of the situation I am about to discuss.  

This past Sunday I made spaghetti.  We went to the grocery store afterwards and bought lots and lots of food.  We were out of pretty much everything.  We bought some fresh salmon filets while there and Cory said he wanted to cook them Monday night.  

Monday night Cory made lemon-glazed salmon, potatoes au gratin, and asparagus.  It was absolutely beautiful and tasted incredible!! 

Tuesday Cory decided he wanted hamburgers and for some reason, I am completely incapable of making a hamburger patty that stays intact while cooking.  My hamburgers turn into taco meat.  Cory makes a mean hamburger so he cooked the patties, made homemade sweet potato fries--which I do not eat due to a traumatic childhood experience--and green beans.   It was good!

Wednesday is our designated leftover night because Cory works until 7.  I ate leftover Chicken Parmesan that we had cooked Saturday and he ate hamburgers and the rest of the potatoes au gratin.  

Today, Thursday, we still had a fridge full of leftovers.  There was a serving of spaghetti from Sunday night and a leftover hamburger patty.  I ate the spaghetti and Cory ate the hamburger and heated up some Bush's Baked Beans--which I cannot eat because of the sugar content.  

Tomorrow is Friday and since I now have to work all day on Friday and Cory only has to work until 12, he is in charge of dinner on Friday nights now.  Last Friday we had homemade waffles and bacon...YUM!  Tomorrow he is making steaks, baked potatoes, broccoli, and asparagus. 

The following day is Saturday.  I also work every Saturday and Cory never works Saturdays.  Because of this, we have agreed that he be in charge of Saturday's dinner too.  He hasn't decided what he wants to cook this Saturday.

So this means that I have somehow managed to avoid cooking a single dinner for an entire week and we ate full, nutritious, home-cooked meals every night.

This has never happened before and is so unheard of that I HAD to document it.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, this is the third time I'm going to try to leave a comment -- my previous two attempts have been unsuccessful. lol

    Glad to hear that you are getting some time off, even if you do enjoy it! Every wife deserves a break from cooking from time-to-time.

    Also, I remember about your inability too form patties, but you did a great job with your microwave steamer spagetti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I appreciate your persistence with comment-leaving.
    I was pretty creative with cooking in a dorm. I refused to eat Ramen Noodles, Hot Pockets, and microwave meals. I was going to eat home-cooked meals, no matter how creative I had to get :-)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...