Monday, January 2, 2012

The Missing Keys

This past Thursday morning started out just like any other.  Cory and I got ready for work at the same time and were ready to leave the house at the same time.  I told him I would get Sam situated so he went ahead and left.  I put Sam up for the day, put my jacket on, grabbed my purse and lunchbox, and then went to grab my keys.

My keys are in the same spot 99.9% of the time: on the edge of the kitchen counter.  They have always been placed there.  The other 0.01% of the time they are in my purse because I had rode somewhere with Cory (and I have this phobia about leaving my house without my own set of keys even if he has his and he is driving).  

But on Thursday morning, my keys were not there.  I checked my pockets in all my jackets, even ones I hadn't worn.  I completely dumped out my purse.  I looked in our room, in the living room, in the guest room, all over the kitchen, even the bathrooms.  No keys. I asked Sam if he had them, but he didn't.  I thought maybe Cory somehow accidentally took my keys with him so I decided I would just go get his. We each have a key to both cars and one to the apartment on our key-rings so it wouldn't have mattered whose keys I had.  And my work keys are on a whole separate ring and those were tucked safely in my purse. 

I went to where he keeps his keys 100% of the time; in his drawer on the nightstand.  His keys, wallet, and watch are always in there if he is home.  But there was nothing in that drawer.  Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nothing!

So I began calling Cory.  But my wonderful husband refuses to answer the phone while he is driving.  I love him for that but in an emergency situation, it would be nice if he broke his own rules.  And I think your wife calling you 7 times in a row just minutes after you left for work signals a mild emergency.  But he didn't answer.  

Next I called my boss and told him that I was stranded at home because I had no door key to lock our apartment and no car key to get anywhere.  He thought it was humorous and to let him know when I found my keys and would be coming in to work.  I hung up with him just as Cory called me back.

I asked him if he knew where my keys were.
No.
Well I can't find them anywhere. Are you sure you don't have them?
Oh..oops yeah I took yours.  Just go get mine.
I tried. Your drawer is empty.
Well if I have your keys then my keys have to be there somewhere. Look harder.
Honey, I have looked everywhere and there are NO keys in this house.
Well there is no way I could have taken both sets of keys!
*pause*
Umm......Uh-oh......ooops......I have both sets.  I'll come home and bring you yours. Sorry babe!

So Cory drove all the way home from work, gave me my keys, and then drove all the way back to work.  I arrived to work 25 minutes late but thankfully everyone thought it was funny so it didn't seem to matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...