I think I have mentioned before that I was diagnosed with OCD. My obsessive thoughts involve germs and cleanliness and my compulsive behaviors are that which involve cleaning, organizing, sorting, and germ-removal. With my medication I am able to function like a "normal" human being but sometimes little obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors will sneak in and try to take over.
Lately, I have been plagued with obsessive thoughts over the cleanliness of our apartment. I have come to believe that the entire place is infested with germs and is making me sick and slowly killing me. A little irrational but it all seems plausible in my head ;-)
We had to replace our mini blinds and when we removed the old ones, I noticed that the windows weren't as clean as I thought they should be. I clean the window sills and I have to Windex the patio door windows frequently because Sam makes "nose art" on them but I had never really noticed anything beyond that. In the master bedroom, I noticed little areas where mold was trying to start. I am terrified of having mold in my house and I think it makes me a bad person to have mold--irrational again, but these thoughts are all real in my head.
So I take a picture of the window and text it to my Daddy with the caption "This apt is slowly killing us" He text back "Three things will survive a nuclear holocaust: cockroaches, Kudzu, and window sill mold." Thanks Dad, that made me laugh but it really didn't make me feel any better about it. So I set out to scrub all the germs off all of my windows. It took me over an hour to do the 3 windows in our little apartment but they are perfectly sparkling now!
After the window situation, the thoughts started. I even started thinking I need new carpet because germs are soaked into them. And now I have noticed a lot of other things that are really bothering me. I want someone to come in and deep clean my home. I am talking about scrubbing the baseboards, dusting the ceilings, removing light fixtures and scrubbing inside them, and moving appliances and cleaning behind and all around them. I do a lot of cleaning, probably more than most people, but lately I just cannot get the thought of having everything deep cleaned out of my head.
Does anyone else ever feel this way? Have you ever had your home professionally deep cleaned? Should I just do it myself? Should I just take more medication ;-) ? I can get a professional cleaner to come in for half the price; it is one we use for the apartment homes and she offers a discount to residents and employees, but I just don't know if it is worth it? What are your thoughts?


No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't be shy...