Today was the first day of school for young children in Montgomery. I had forgotten this until I got a call at work from a resident who is the father of an adorable little kindergartener.
It was about 3:30 and I answer the phone and an alarmed and flustered parent is on the line. He is frantically asking me where the school bus drops the kids off at the apartment. Did the bus drop them all up front or did they go to each individual building? And had the bus come? I didn't know the answer so I asked our manager, who said the school bus would drop all the kids off at the front entrance and the bus should be arriving shortly.
I got back on the line and told the man. He then proceeded to tell me that today was his son's very first day of school ever! He was a little kindergartener and had never been to K3 or K4 so this was a whole new adventure for him. He told his son this morning that he would be there to pick him up from school this afternoon. He also told the school and his son's teacher that he would be picking him up that afternoon from carpool.
Well the man gets to the school, gets in the carpool line, and the school tells him they do not have his son. They sent his son home on the bus!
I immediately put myself in the man's shoes (and the little boy's shoes) and tell the parent that I will walk the entire property if I have to in order to find that little boy and bring him safely to the front office. His dad thanked me and said he was on his way and would be there as fast as he could.
I run out the front door and find the other parents at the entrance waiting for the school bus. I ask if we are waiting for the younger children bus and then I see the bus pulling in. A load of kids get off and go in the direction of their parents, but no little kindergartener is in sight. I ask the bus driver if she is aware of a little boy who was not supposed to be put on the bus. She said she had a little boy crying and pitching a fit and that was most likely him.
I find the little boy on the bus and ask him if it was his first day of school and if his daddy was supposed to pick him up. He said, in the most heart-breaking voice, yes. He looked absolutely petrified and I explained to him that I had spoken with his daddy and I was going to keep him safe in the office until his daddy got there. It took some coaxing from both myself and the bus driver to get him to go with me (I was a stranger of course!) but I got him off the bus and we went inside.
I sat him down in front of the window so he could watch for his daddy and I got him some water. He still looked completely frightened and didn't want me to leave his side. His daddy came plowing into the entrance and squealing into a parking space sideways and jumped out of his car and ran up to his son and grabbed him.
That little boy had the biggest smile on his face and his father thanked me kindly. I went back inside and explained to my co-workers why I had just brought a little boy into the office and was taking care of him. I told them he was safely with his daddy and all was right in the little boy's world.
It warmed my heart to be able to help that man and his little boy and my manager said I would make a great mother because of my sweet heart for children.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't be shy...