Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Another Anniversary!

I can't believe I forgot an anniversary this month!  My mother's parents celebrated their 52nd wedding anniversary on August 21st.  
They are probably the coolest grandparents in the world.  They have been everywhere and have done almost everything! They have the best stories to tell and the best experiences to share.  The best and neatest story is their love story, though. I will give you the abridged version.

My darling Grandma traveled all the way from Washington, DC to California to be a missionary.  But when she got there, they told her they didn't need her anymore!  She decides to go to this picnic before figuring out what she is going to do, now that she is all the way in California without a job.  At the picnic, she meets this strapping young gentleman and they hit it off immediately.  That was 6-21-59.

Exactly 2 months to the date, on 8-21-59, the precious couple got married.  They are the epitome of the old adage "When you know, you know".  They knew immediately they were meant to be together :)  After they said "I do", Grandma looked at Grandpa and said: Listen here hubs, I want 4 kids and I want them all by the time I turn 30.  Grandpa knew how old she was and started calculating and decided they had to get started right that second ;-)

5 years, 1 month, and 1 day after their wedding--and 4 months after turning 30--my Grandma gave birth to her fourth and final child; a precious little girl named Iris, who happens to be my Mama.  

Happy Anniversary Grandma and Grandpa! I love you both to the moon and back!!!

Love,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. You made your mother cry. This is a beautifully written tribute to a wonderful loving couple. They were a example as to what a marriage is all about. I pray your Dad and I have set the same example for you.
    Love You!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...